Thursday, December 8, 2011

Oh Land

Oh Land Tonight....Super Excited.

15 Fun Facts about Oh Land

1. Her real name is Nanna Fabricius
2. She was born in Copenhagen
3. She was a ballerina, moving to Stockholm at the age of 10 to study ballet at a prestigious dance school
4. At the age of 18 she injured her back ending her career as a ballerina
5. After recording her first album she settled in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
6. Oland is her middle name
7. Her music has recently been on Beavis and Butthead and American Horror Story, two of my all time favorite shows
8. Her mother was an opera singer and her father an organist
9. Abbey Road is her favorite Beatles album
10. Bjork is her biggest idol
11. She collects snow globes, as do I
12. She has one brother and one sister
13. If she could be any animal it would be a bird
14. Her first show after being signed to Sony was at the Pride Festival in New York
15. She was named most stylish New Yorker in Time Out New York Magazine



"And for me, when I make music I dive into my own little world and I explore what it looks like in there. I guess for me, songwriting is very much about stepping into a room. I envision a room, and if there’s nothing in it, if there’s no furniture, I won’t feel at home. But if I start putting little things in the room, then I can start to feel at home and start exploring the room – and that’s very much what production is for me. I start to make little sounds that suddenly will make me explore things in the music, and then I can start writing the melodies and the lyrics."

What she says here by far touches my soul. There was a period of time this year when I was really going through some changes. I was somewhat down, depressed, and could not seem to pick myself back up. I was talking with one of my closest friends one night and she gave me some really good advice. She told me that whenever I was feeling down, or super upset, to just close my eyes and envision an empty white room. Of course, being me, I asked her if I could please envision a black or green room because I did not necessarily like white. She agreed that was alright. Anyways, she explained to me that I should then use my thoughts to fill the room with objects that make me happy, eliminating all my thoughts of things that were resting heavy on my heart. It was some of the best advice I have ever been given and I use it all the time. It’s easier in public to do this than to fully go into meditation mode.


I probably should have chosen something original for this post but I saw this and this is one of my favorite Fleet Foxes songs and I like her take on it....

No comments:

Post a Comment